Health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza says war death toll hits 10,328
Israeli strike kills Palestinian reporter in Gaza: Hundreds line up in Gaza to flee through Egypt crossing
November 7, 2023 06:27 PM
Gaza's health ministry said Tuesday 10,328 people have been killed in the month-long war between Israel and the fighter group Hamas which controls the Palestinian territory.
Thousands of children are among those killed in Gaza since October 7, when Israel launched a blistering assault in response to a deadly attack on southern Israel by Hamas fighters.
Israeli strike kills Palestinian reporter in Gaza: news agency
A Palestinian journalist was killed in an Israeli air strike in the Gaza Strip and another was wounded, the official Palestinian news agency reported Tuesday.
Mohammad Abu Hasira was the latest among dozens of journalists killed in the month-long conflict that began with Hamas's October 7 attack on southern Israel.
He "was killed in an Israeli bombing that targeted his house located near the fishermen's port west of Gaza City," said the WAFA news agency, where he worked.
WAFA reported that Abu Hasira "and 42 members of his family, including his sons and brothers" were killed in the strike.
The Hamas-run news press service in the Gaza Strip said the bombardment that killed Abu Hasira took place overnight between Sunday and Monday, but that his body was only found in the rubble on Tuesday.
On Thursday, the official Palestinian TV station said one of its correspondents in the Gaza Strip was killed in an Israeli air strike in the southern Gaza Strip.
The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) said Monday that at least 37 journalists and media employees (32 Palestinians, four Israelis, one Lebanese citizen) had been killed since the start of the war.
The war began when the Palestinian Hamas, which rules the Gaza Strip, launched a shock attack on southern Israel, killing over 1,400 people, mostly civilians, according to Israeli authorities.
Israel responded with an air and artillery assault that it says aims to destroy Hamas and return the more than 240 hostages held in Gaza.
The Hamas-run Health Ministry in Gaza announced Tuesday that the Israeli bombardments have killed more than 10,300 people, most of them civilians.
In a separate incident, a journalist with Lebanese Al-Mayadeen television channel filed a police complaint against an Israeli journalist who she alleged had "intimidated" her.
Hana Mohamed said Israeli journalist Haim Etgar confronted her at a post office after allegedly impersonating a postal employee and "threatening" her.
"This is not the first time that this journalist has chased Arab journalists and intimidated them," she told AFP.
"When a journalist gives himself the authority to question another journalist like a policeman it legitimises racist attacks on anyone," Mohamed said.
Etgar posted on his Instagram account a video of him following Mohamed out of the post office to her car, asking about her take on the war, Mayadeen's coverage and accusing her of broadcasting "fake news," such as that the Israeli army is using chemical weapons.
"We tried to ask questions, as always politely and without physical contact," Etgar wrote, alleging that Mayadeen was affiliated with Hezbollah, the fighter group in Lebanon.
"We didn't get answers."
There was no indication from police as to whether they were launching an investigation following the complaint.
Hundreds line up in Gaza to flee through Egypt crossing
Hundreds of Palestinian foreign passport holders waited on Tuesday inside the war-stricken and besieged Gaza Strip to escape through the Rafah crossing with Egypt.
While most still queued nervously, the first arrivals were seen on the Egyptian side where paramedics transferred an injured woman on a stretcher into an ambulance to rush her to a hospital.
Tuesday was set to mark the fifth day on which Gaza's sole land crossing not controlled by Israel has opened in the past week, to wounded Palestinians as well as foreigners and Palestinian dual nationals.
AFP video footage from the Gaza side showed hundreds waiting with suitcases, bags and other scant belongings at the Rafah terminal complex.
"We were suffering just like any Gazan resident, we waited a long time for the crossing to open," said Farid Nawasra, who holds a Russian passport.
"We were waiting every day for our names to be added to the list, and we hope today that they allow us to pass, as they allowed other foreigners to pass."
Departures from the Gaza Strip were expected to resume for many more on Tuesday afternoon after 500 people had received authorisation to enter Egypt, Hamas officials said.
"Every person in Gaza is in danger," said Myrian Abu Shaban, a resident of Gaza City. "I'm happy that we managed to make it to the border."
Israeli forces have stepped up their ground offensive in Gaza as part of the military response to the October 7 Hamas attacks that officials say killed 1,400 people, mostly civilians, with more than 240 taken hostage.
The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza said Tuesday that 10,328 Palestinians had been killed in the territory since the start of Israel's offensive, most of them civilians.
Israel says it tries to minimise civilian casualties and accuses Hamas of using non-combatants as human shields while embedding in homes, schools and hospitals.
Israel's defence ministry body in charge of civil affairs in the Gaza Strip, COGAT, released a video that claimed to show thousands of Palestinians heading south from the northern Gaza Strip along a humanitarian corridor.
Hamas claimed the video footage was staged "in a humiliating way to demonstrate that a large number are fleeing south".
Israeli forces have encircled Gaza City where they say Hamas's main command and control facilities are located. The Israeli military has repeatedly called on Palestinian civilians to evacuate and move south.