Death toll in Peshawar Imambargah bombing shoots up to 62

Thousands attend funeral: Two suspects arrested as investigators hunt rickshaw driver who brought terrorists to imambargah: Parachinar citizens stage protest: IS claims responsibility: Eight bodies still unidentified 

By: News Desk
Published: 08:55 AM, 5 Mar, 2022
Death toll in Peshawar Imambargah bombing shoots up to 62
Caption: TV grab
Stay tuned with 24 News HD Android App
Get it on Google Play

The death toll in the suicide bombing of Peshawar Imambargah shot up to 62 on Saturday after five more injured succumbed to their wounds, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.

The five injured breathed their last at Peshawar’s Lady Reading Hospital where 37 people were still under treatment. The condition of five of them was stated to be serious as they were being treated in the ICU.

An LRH spokesman said 57 bodies were brought to the hospital yesterday and until another five injured have died taking the number of total toll to 62.

CTD investigation

The Counter Terrorism Department special investigation team on Saturday took into custody two suspected people linked to the Peshawar imambargah suicide blast while the Namaz-i-Janaza of the martyred was offered. Citizens in Parachinar staged a protest to condemn the blast as 11 of the victims were belonged to the area, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.

The police and CTD probe team were jointly investigating yesterday’s huge suicide blast at the Shia mosque in which 57 worshippers were martyred and nearly 200 sustained injuries. They recorded the statements of the injured. The law enforcers arrested two people on suspicion. 

According to the initial investigation, the attacker first opened fire on a police official using 9MM pistol and the probe team recovered seven shells of bullets from the crime scene. 

The probe team revealed that the suicide jacket was laden with a large quantity of ball bearings. They said that they would run blood test on the body parts recovered from the blast scene to ascertain their identification.

So far, the police could not identify eight bodies martyred in the blast

According to the investigation, approximately 5-6kg explosives were used in the explosion. 

The law enforcers have completed the sketches of the suicide bomber and his two facilitators who came there in a rickshaw from the Kohati area.

The terrorists stopped their rickshaw at a distance from the Kucha Risaldar and reached the imambargah on foot.

Though the Peshawar police initially said that two suicide bombers were involved in the attack but now the investigation had revealed that the number of attackers was three.

Anyhow, the Peshawar Police have now started searching for the rickshaw driver.

Namaz-i-Janaza of martyrs offered

The city of Peshawar emerged shaken and jolted a day after the carnage. The atmosphere was somber. 

The Namaz-i-Janaza of 13 martyrs was held today at Kohati Gate. A large number of people participated in the funeral prayers. 

On this occasion, a huge number of policemen were deputed at the funeral prayers site to provide security to the participants. 

However, the funeral prayers of 18 martyrs were held yesterday night. The funeral prayers of the two martyred policemen were also offered on Friday night in which Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Mahmood Khan and his ministers along with IGP Muazzam Jah Insari and senior police officers participated.

Of the 196 injured, 45, some of them critical, were now still under treatment at the Peshawar’s Lady Reading Hospital. An LRH spokesman informed the media that the wounded were being provided the best medical facilities in different wards of the hospital.

He maintained that the injured were given emergency treatment despite rush in the hospital which was commendable.

IS claims responsibility 

Meanwhile, the Islamic State group claimed the suicide bombing. "Today Friday, an Islamic State fighter succeeded in assaulting a Shiite mosque in Peshawar," the transnational jihadist group said on its Amaq propaganda site.

Citizens in Parachinar stage protest 

The number of Peshawar martyrs who belonged to Parachinar reached 11. The Parachinar administration on Saturday closed all business and educational institutions in the city to mourn their martyrdom. 

The aggrieved citizens took the bodies of the blast victims to the Parachina Press Club and staged a protest there condemning the blast

CTD approached to register case 

On the other hand, SHO Waris Khan of Khan Razzaq police station sent a letter to the CTD for registering a case under murder, attempt to murder and terrorism clauses.

Reporters Azmat Ali Shah, Javed Hussain, Usman Javed