Wimbledon bans Russian and Belarusian players, but ATP slams 'unfair' move
Stay tunned with 24 News HD Android App
The All England Lawn Tennis Club, which runs Wimbledon, said it was acting to "limit Russia's global influence through the strongest means possible".
"In the circumstances of such unjustified and unprecedented military aggression, it would be unacceptable for the Russian regime to derive any benefits from the involvement of Russian or Belarusian players," an AELTC statement said.
The ITF had already banned both countries' teams from the Davis Cup and the Billie Jean King Cup.
"We believe that today's unilateral decision by Wimbledon and the LTA to exclude players from Russia and Belarus from this year's British grass-court swing is unfair and has the potential to set a damaging precedent for the game," an ATP statement said.
Australian men's player John Millman also expressed frustration at the ban.
Players still set for Roland Garros
Others hit by the ban are Russia's Andrey Rublev, who is currently eighth in the ATP rankings, while his compatriot Karen Khachanov is in 26th place.
Wimbledon, the most high-profile of tennis's four Grand Slam events, runs from June 27 to July 10 this year.
"On behalf of the All England Club and the Committee of Management of The Championships, we wish to express our ongoing support for all those impacted by the conflict in Ukraine during these shocking and distressing times," the AELTC statement said.
"We share in the universal condemnation of Russia's illegal actions and have carefully considered the situation in the context of our duties to the players, to our community and to the broader UK public as a British sporting institution.
"Given the profile of The Championships in the United Kingdom and around the world, it is our responsibility to play our part in the widespread efforts of Government, industry, sporting and creative institutions to limit Russia's global influence through the strongest means possible."
Wimbledon chiefs spoke to the British government earlier in April to discuss whether they should follow a similar policy to the men's and women's circuits.
"We recognise that this is hard on the individuals affected, and it is with sadness that they will suffer for the actions of the leaders of the Russian regime," AELTC chairman Ian Hewitt said.
The AELTC statement added that the ban would be reconsidered if circumstances "change materially" between now and June.
Russia reacted angrily to the reports, deeming it "unacceptable".
"Once again they simply turn athletes into hostages to political prejudice, political intrigues," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.
"This is unacceptable. Taking into account that Russia is a very strong tennis country, our athletes are at the top of world rankings, the competition itself will suffer from their removal."