Internal probe clears Springboks star Etzebeth of racism
August 3, 2020 03:26 AM
South African World Cup winner Eben Etzebeth has been cleared in an internal investigation of racism and assault charges levelled against him last year, local media said Sunday.
The 28-year-old Springbok allegedly used racist slurs against four men in the town of Langebaan, about 120 kilometres (74 miles) north of Cape Town.
He was also charged with assault after allegedly insulting, assaulting and pointing a gun at a 42-year-old homeless man.
But an internally-commissioned probe led by a former judge concluded that there were no grounds to proceed with the case against the Springbok lock, Rapport newspaper said.
SA Rugby spokesman refused to give details of the probe citing employer-employee confidentiality.
"The independent investigation was conducted and the case is now closed from SA Rugby's perspective," the spokesman said.
The complainants have filed a case against Etzebeth and want financial compensation of $59,000 for damages.
They also want Etzebeth to undergo a restorative process which includes an apology, anger management training and community service in Langebaan. The 82-Test lock has maintained his innocence.
His lawyer André Calitz told the newspaper that the investigation outcome "is just further confirmation of his innocence. Eben was not at any stage guilty of slander or assault".