Instigators among 118 arrested over Lankan’s lynching; Report sent to PM

Preliminary report also cites police lapse: Post mortem of factory manager completed

By: News Desk
Published: 01:02 PM, 4 Dec, 2021
Instigators among 118 arrested over Lankan’s lynching; Report sent to PM
Caption: Security officials gather beside a damaged vehicle near the premises of a factory in Sialkot a Sri Lankan manager was beaten to death and set ablaze by mob.–AFP
Stay tuned with 24 News HD Android App
Get it on Google Play

The Punjab government has forwarded a preliminary report into the lynching of a Sri Lankan factory manager in Sialkot to Prime Minister Imran Khan, claiming that the police have detained 118 people including main accused Farhan Adrees and 12 other prime suspects, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.

The report which was sent to the prime minister on Saturday by the Punjab police says that the police have also arrested the people who instigated the protesters against the factory manager over the alleged blasphemy act.

The initial points of the report were presented by the local administration and secret agencies in a meeting held in Lahore and presided over by Punjab Law Minister Raja Basharat. 

According to the report, the incident was reported at 11:26 am. By that time, the factory workers came out on the road which hindered the swift movement of the police and they could not reach the place of the incident on time. 

The report divulges the details of the incident as to how did it happen. It all started with a sticker depicting some religious inscription. Some foreigners were scheduled to visit the factory. Factory export manager Priyantha Kumara allegedly ordered his staff to remove the sticker. But when the staff allegedly did not obey his order, he removed the religious sticker himself.

After this, the factory owners as well as the administration vanished from the scene. And then the sad incident of killing the manager happened, the report says adding that the police have taken the CCTV footage in their possession. It says that a special team has been formed which is analyzing the footage of the incident. 

The report further reveals that the arrested people have been shifted to some unknown places for further investigation. It says that accused Junaid who was taking selfies with the burning corpse of Sri Lankan manager Kumara, has also been taken into custody. Police have conducted 200 raids so far, it adds. 

Also Read: Sri Lankan PM demands justice over manager’s lynching

The report says that the other factory managers helped in identifying the people involved in the incident. 

According to the report, Rescue 1122 officials promptly reached the place after getting a call. But police could not save the Sri Lankan from the hands of the frenzied mob owing to a small number of their contingent. 

Punjab Law Minister Basharat said the government was also looking into this incident from the blasphemy act perspective as well as from the administrative perspective too.

He said the provincial government had tightened the security around all the churches and foreign factory workers in Sialkot.

Production manager tried to save Parantha Kumara 

In the CCTV footage, it could be seen that production manager Malik Adnan tried to save Sri Lankan export manager Priyantha Kumara from the frenzied workers. He took the Sri Lankan to the roof of the factory and slammed the roof door shut behind him. He kept on pleading the frantic mob not to hurt Kumara rather they should hand him over to the police. 

But the furious workers also subjected Mr Adnan to torture and dragged the Sri Lankan downstairs. 

Post mortem completed 

Meanwhile, the post mortem of the Sri Lankan manager who was mercilessly lynched and burnt by his factory workers in Sialkot was completed and the hospital returned the body of the foreigner to police.

Police after collecting evidence, sent it to the forensic laboratory. The arrests were being made with the help of CCTV footage and mobile phones recordings. The police would also conduct the forensic analysis of the CCTV footages for arresting perpetrators of the ghastly act. In collaboration with the police, the Special branch, Counter-Terrorism Department and other law enforcement agencies were conducting raids.

Body to be handed over to Sri Lankan Embassy

The dead body of the Lankan citizen has been sent to Lahore from Sialkot in an ambulance where it would be handed over to the Sri Lankan authorities.

Punjab Home Department has also contacted the Sri Lankan Embassy in Islamabad.

Sources revealed that the body of Priyantha Kumara would be sent to Islamabad via a special flight. And then the Sri Lankan Embassy would send the body to Colombo. 

The Home Department officials had assured the Sri Lankan Embassy about the dispatch of the body. 

Forensic analysis of CCTV footages being conducted 

While talking to the media, Punjab government spokesperson Hasaan Khawar said that Prime Minister Imran Khan and Chief Minister Usman Buzdar were themselves overseeing the investigation of the Sri Lankan manager’s gruesome murder. 

He said a case was registered on the complaint of the police. He revealed 110 people had been arrested and the provincial government was conducting the forensic analysis of the videos. He vowed that justice would be done. 

Speaking on the occasion, Punjab IG Rao Sardar said police were investigating with the help of 160 CCTV cameras.

“We are considering every aspect of the incident. After completing our investigation, we present our challan in the court,” the IG informed. 

The IG Police was of the view that the police controlled the situation after reaching the venue. He said the incident occurred at 10:02 am and police were informed at 11:28 am. 

The government spokesperson said that the police would determine the role and involvement of every possible suspect. 

The IG police said the incident occurred inside the factory and police were not inside the factory. 

Reporters Qazzafi Butt, Mian Ashfaq, Ali Sahi and Awais Kiyani