Chaudhrys move court against NAB chairman’s powers
Saad Rafique says proposed changes in NAB law nothing to do with 18th Amendment
The Chaudhry brothers moved the Lahore High Court (LHC) against the powers of NAB chairman on Wednesday, saying he ordered to open a matter again which had been closed 19 years ago, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.
The PML-Q leaders, Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain and Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi, argued in their petition that the NAB investigated the matter of assets beyond means 19 years ago but could not prove anything against them. The matter was closed after they could not prove the allegation, they added.
According to the petitioners, the NAB chairman does not have the authority to reopen an inquiry that was 19 years old and had already been closed.
Requesting the court to declare the move null and void, the two leaders said they belonged to a political family and had gone through political victimisation.
The latest development came on a day when senior PML-N leader Khawaja Saad Rafique said the state affairs and the NAB law could not go together, adding that no one from the government side had contacted by the party on the 18th Amendment.
Talking to media after appearing before an accountability court, he said proposed changes in the NAB Ordinance had nothing to do with the 18th Amendment.
The senior politician said the PML-N could ponder over proposals for changes in the 18th Amendment but would not compromise provincial autonomy.
These developments came amid reports that the government is framing a new law to amend the National Accountability Ordinance (NAO).