Iran dismisses Saudi call for inclusion in nuclear talks
The request was rejected on Monday by Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh.
"Everyone is free to talk, but it's better that they do not talk above their level so that they don't embarras themselves," he told reporters.
"Dwelling too much about the place of a mediocre country in the region does not help," the spokesman said in response to repeated questions on the Saudi position.
Khatibzadeh also accused Riyadh of funding extremist ideology and being responsible for many of the "troubles" of the Arab and Islam world, saying the Saudi people "deserve better".
The accord has been on life-support since 2018, when US President Donald Trump withdrew and began reimposing sanctions as part of a "maximum pressure" campaign against the Islamic republic.
Since 2019, Iran has gradually walked back most of its key nuclear commitments in response to the sanctions and what it calls Europe's inability to provide it with the agreement's promised economic benefits.
Tehran has maintained that its measures can be restored if the other parties to the deal carry out their commitments.
The regional rivals are on opposing sides in conflicts from Syria to Yemen.
Animosity between them deepened last year after a series attacks on tankers in the Gulf, which Washington blamed on Tehran despite Iranian denials.
He also dismissed a recent request by Germany -- which remains party to the accord along with Britain, China, France and Russia -- for a new, broader deal that would include limits on Tehran's ballistic missile programme.
"Iran will neither compromise nor negotiate its national security," Khatibzadeh said.
"We hope Europe knows its place," he added, noting that it "should know that what could not be achieved using maximum pressure will not be achieved through other means either."