Govt unveils Hajj policy for 2023
Hajj applications will be received from March 16 to March 31 | Govt abolishes maximum age limit for intending pilgrims | Minister says this time accommodation in Saudi Arabia is quite expensive
Stay tuned with 24 News HD Android App
The federal government on Friday announced the Hajj policy for the year 2023, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.
The policy was announced after the federal cabinet’s approval.
Announcing the policy, Federal Minister for Religious Affairs Mufti Abdul Shakoor said that the amount charged from those intending to perform official Hajj was proportionate to their expenditures. “The government of Pakistan bears the expenses of their accommodation, transport, food and medical facilities,” he said, adding, “Although the Saudi government has slightly reduced Hajj expenditures on our request. Still, it should be borne in mind that prices of items of essential use have gone up even in Saudi Arabia.”
The minister said that the fall of Pak Rupee vis-à-vis US dollar had also adversely affected the Hajj package.
He disclosed that this time there was lot of competition for accommodation, which was quite expensive.
Mufti claimed that the pilgrimage proved least costly for overseas Pakistanis if they travelled from Pakistan. “The expenditures incurred on Hajj in Pakistan are less than other countries of the region,” he claimed.
He informed that sponsorship Hajj scheme had been introduced for overseas Pakistanis.
The minister said that this time the Ministry of Finance had promised $90 million.
He informed that this time there was no maximum age limit for pilgrims.
Mufti said that the government would start receiving Hajj applications from March 16. “People can submit their applications until March 31. While there will be a balloting on April 6,” he explained.