Sugar scam suspects to be tried under criminal law: Shahzad
An inquiry commission formed to dig in Rs29 billion subsidy on sugar has braved threats by the Sugar Mills Association to finish the task, PM aide Shahzad Akbar said on Wednesday.
He told the media that Prime Minister Imran Khan gave go-ahead to launch recovery campaign in the light of probe panel’s recommendations, including registration of criminal cases.
The adviser said the National Accountability Bureau, Federal Board of Revenue, Benami Commission, Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan will be used for recovery.
About price, he said a body, headed by Hammad Azhar, will determine the rate.
Sharing findings of investigators with the media, Akbar said that the basic flaw in subsidies in five year was the absence of any judicious decision while the forensic report proved that farmers were paid from 30 to 35 percent less than the support price,” the PM’s aide said. He said nothing is kept secret as the government is working openly.
NAB would take action on these subsidies, according to the PM’s aide. FBR would look into the sales tax frauds committed by mill owners. Similarly, Akbar said, the SECP and FIA have been forwarded corporate fraud cases. Akbar said a few sugar mills illegally installed new crushing plants without acquiring licences.
The inquiry commission completed its work and nominated accused persons in sugar scandal.
While commenting over the case filed in the high court by sugar mill owners, Akbar said that every citizen has the right to move to the court. He added that the tenure of the present government was unlike the past governments.
He also revealed that PM Imran Khan had been given threats after the formation of the sugar inquiry commission and it will be brought forward before the court by the federal government.