Sindh expands shut downs to curb coronavirus
As part of the efforts to curb the spread of novel coronavirus, Sindh Government on Saturday ordered closure of wedding halls and shrines and cancellation of all festivals across the province.
Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah issued the orders in this regard while chairing a meeting of the taskforce on the virus situation in the province.
"By God's mercy, the situation is still under control. But we need to be prepared for every eventuality," Shah said.
The schools have already been shut across Sindh and on Saturday the government also ordered halting all educational activities at the religious semanaries.
The Sindh Disaster Management Authority has also been directed to start recruiting volunteers to deal with the emerging situation.
The chief minister also instructed Commissioner Sukkur to conduct the tests of pilgrims entering the city.
Shah directed the officials to keep him updated minute by minute so as to take quick decisions.
The CM ordered the chief secretary to shut down the National Institute of Management (NIM) and directed his ministers to avoid attending public and social events.
As on Friday night, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Pakistan have surged to 28.
Karachi has been the worst-hit city so far, with 14 of the total confirmed cases.
Of the rest, five cases have been reported in Gilgit-Baltistan and one case has been reported each in Hyderabad and Quetta.
Besides China, where the virus originated, South Korea and Iran have suffered huge toll.
But the WHO said in a statement on Friday that the epicentre of the COVID-19 outbreak has now shifted to Europe, which is recording a rapid rise in new cases every day.