Suspended Umar Akmal asked to cough up PSL money

By: News Desk      Published: 05:31 PM, 28 Feb, 2020
Suspended Umar Akmal asked to cough up PSL money

Pakistan Cricket Board has asked disgraced cricketer Umar Akmal to return the Pakistan Super League paycheque he had received to represent the Quetta Gladiators ibn the fifth edition of the PSL.

Umar Akmal had been suspended by the PCB on the opening day of the PSL over a corruption inquiry. He has now been told to return the payment cheque he had received prior to the start of the event. Umar, like all other players in the league, was paid 70 per cent of his total contract amount for representing Quetta Gladiators in the PSL.

As per rules, all local and foreign players participating in the PSL have been paid 70 per cent of their contract amounts in advance and remaining 30 percent will be paid after the completion of the league on March 22. The PCB pays the amount directly to the players on behalf of franchise and later adjusts that amount from the franchises shares.

The PCB handles the distribution of contract money to players directly to avoid any delays and problems as are visible in other leagues where players have got payments even after a year's delay.

Umar, who has denied all the charges against him including meeting with a bookmaker, not reporting an offer and allegedly agreeing to spot-fix a match of the PSL, is yet to get a charge-sheet from the Anti-Corruption Unit of the PCB.

Umar said has also hired a top-notch lawyer to supervise the entire process which will start once the PCB officially charge-sheets him. While a close aide of Umar Akmal has alleged that Umar was a victim of witch-hunting.