UK teen girl dies after inhaling deodorant

By: News Desk
Published: 02:15 PM, 28 Jan, 2023
UK teen girl dies after inhaling deodorant
Caption: Giorgia Green
Stay tuned with 24 News HD Android App
Get it on Google Play

A teenager has tragically died after accidentally inhaling deodorant in her bedroom. Giorgia Green, 14, was found unresponsive after spraying her blanket with aerosol deodorant and wrapping herself inside.

The harrowing incident occurred in Derby, when the 14-year-old was discovered in an non-responsive state by her mother. British newspaper The Mirror reports that the youngster suffered a cardiac arrest and later passed away.

Following her demise, her parents are fundraising to raise awareness of the dangers of inhaling aerosols. They claim they are doing so in order to ensure that the tragedy does not repeat itself.

So far the couple have raised more than £4,000 on JustGiving. Clare and Paul Green said: “Due to our own tragic circumstances we want to educate others and raise awareness to help protect you, your family and friends.

“Giorgia Almira Green went to her room on 11th May 2022. When mum went up to her as it was time for them to go out to Giorgia's drumming lesson, Giorgia was non-responsive.

“No illness, no sickness, no warning. A perfectly healthy fit child who has never been seriously ill.

"Due to her sensory seeking behaviour she liked to spray her blanket and wrap herself in the blanket. She liked the smell of the deodorant and it made her feel relaxed and calm.”

The parents are now seeking to raise awareness of the dangers of using too much aerosol deodorant. They added: “We want to share this happened because our daughter sprayed too much aerosol deodorant.

“Please help us spread the word that toxic/poisonous chemicals and gases in aerosol cans can kill, this type of death is not limited to children. What we really want is to raise awareness about the dangers of aerosol products in the home.

“This hopefully could prevent further tragedies from happening again. Our greatest wish is that beloved Giorgia's passing is not in vain.”

In the wake of the teen's passing, the British Aerosol Manufacturers' Association responded saying deodorants have "very clear warnings", the BBC reported. 

A spokesperson said: “The British Aerosol Manufacturers' Association (BAMA) takes very seriously any incident involving aerosol products, and we were deeply saddened to learn of the death of someone so young.

"As an industry association we work with manufacturers to ensure that aerosols are made to the highest safety standards and are labelled with very clear warnings and usage instructions and recommend that anyone using an aerosol does so in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

"We also recommend applying a number of additional warnings and usage instructions, beyond those required by regulation, and continue to review these to encourage the safe use of aerosols."

Categories : Topics, Oddities