Pakistan not to close embassy in Kabul after terror attack: FO

PM Shehbaz condemns assassination attempt on Pak Head of Mission

By: News Desk
Published: 06:19 PM, 2 Dec, 2022
Pakistan not to close embassy in Kabul after terror attack: FO
Stay tuned with 24 News HD Android App
Get it on Google Play

Pakistan Foreign Office Friday said there are no plans to close the embassy or withdraw diplomats from Pakistan Embassy in Kabul.

In a statement, the Foreign Office said Pakistan is in contact with the Interim Government in Afghanistan and enhanced security measures are being taken to protect Pakistani diplomatic personnel and Missions in Afghanistan.

Earlier today, it was reported that Pakistan has the plan to call back its diplomatic staff from Afghanistan after an attack on the Pakistani Charge d’Affaires in Kabul in which he along with his guard has been injured.

Soon after the firing incident on the envoy, the Pakistani government decided to call back the diplomatic staff from Kabul temporarily. But now, the foreign office has clarified that Pakistani diplomatic staff is not being called back from Kabul.

The firing took place in Kabul when Nazim-ul-Amoor (Charge d’ Affairs) was walking with his guard in the compound of the embassy. 

Due to the firing, the guard who belongs to Special Services Group (SSG) was injured by receiving three bullets in his body while a bullet also injured the envoy.

The sources said no casualties were reported as a result of the firing but a bullet hit the SSG guard’s chest while touching the Pakistani envoy.

The injured guard has been shifted to the hospital for treatment as he was shot three times in the chest.

The sources said that there was no rush at the Pakistani embassy in Kabul on Friday due to the holiday.

The sources said a special airplane will be sent to Kabul to bring the injured Pakistani Security Guard Asrar and other diplomats back to Pakistan.

Afghan Chargé d’affaires  Summoned 

Pakistan on Friday summoned the Afghan Chargé d’affaires to the foreign ministry and conveyed deep concern and anguish over the attack in Kabul on Pakistan’s Head of Mission, Ubaid-ur-Rehman Nizamani.

The foreign office spokesman in a statement issued here on Friday said Additional Secretary (Afghanistan & West Asia) conveyed Pakistan’s grave concern over the serious incident in which, thankfully, the Head of Mission remained unhurt.

However, the security detail, Sepoy Israr Muhammad, was seriously wounded while valiantly protecting the Head of Mission.

The Chargé d’Affaires was conveyed that the security and protection of Pakistan’s diplomatic Missions and personnel was the responsibility of the Afghan Interim Government and that this incident was an extremely serious security lapse

It was underscored that perpetrators of this attack must be apprehended and brought to justice urgently, an investigation be launched into the serious breach of security of the Embassy premises, and that all necessary steps be taken to ensure the security of the diplomatic premises, officers, and staff working in Pakistan’s Mission in Kabul and Consulates in Jalalabad, Kandahar, Herat, and Mazar-i-Sharif.

Calling the attack “highly unfortunate”, the Afghan Chargé d’Affaires said that the attack was perpetrated by the common enemies of Pakistan and Afghanistan. The attack has been condemned by the Afghan leadership in the strongest possible terms at the highest level. He also informed that the security of the Pakistani Diplomatic Missions had already been beefed up and assured that the Afghan authorities would leave no stone unturned in bringing the perpetrators of this dastardly act to justice.

PM Shehbaz condemns assassination attempt on Pak envoy

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif in his tweet strongly condemned the dastardly assassination attempt on Pakistan’s Head of Mission in Kabul.

The PM saluted to brave security guard who took a bullet in his chest to save the envoy's life. The PM prayed for the swift recovery of the security guard.

PM Shehbaz Sharif also demanded immediate investigation and action against the perpetrators of this heinous act of firing on the Pak envoy.

Foreign Office Spokesperson confirms attack on Pak Embassy

Foreign Office Spokesperson on Friday confirmed that an attack took place at the compound of the Pak Embassy in Kabul. 

The spokesperson said Head of Mission Ubaidur Rehman Nizamani was a target, he remained safe but his guard Israr Muhammad got injured.

Pak foreign Office in its statement condemned the attack on the Pakistani Embassy's compound and an assassination attempt on diplomatic staff. 

The Pak spokesman demanded the Kabul government probe into the matter and arrest the culprits involved in the attack.

The Pak spokesman also urged the Afghan government to take measures of making sure the protection of Pakistani diplomatic staff and citizens.

Attacker was alone

An embassy official told AFP a lone attacker "came behind the cover of houses and started firing".

"The ambassador and all the other staff are safe, but we are not going outside of the embassy building as a precaution," he said.

Categories : Pakistan