Youm-e-Ali procession taken out in Lahore despite NCOC ban
A Youm-e-Ali procession is being taken out from Mubarak Haveli in Lahore.
A procession was taken out from Mubarak Haveli in Lahore on Monday to mark the Martyrdom Day of Hazrat Ali (RA), despite a ban on religious gatherings in the country due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC) had imposed a ban on Youm-e-Ali processions across the country last week due to the increasing number of coronavirus infections in the country. The NCOC had however allowed limited gatherings on Youm-e-Ali with strict enforcement of coronavirus-related standard operating procedures (SOPs). The NCOC meeting was attended by Planning Minister Asad Umar and Lt-Gen Hamoodur Rehman. Provincial chief secretaries attended the NCOC meeting via video link.
However, Majlis Wahdat-e-Muslimeen (MWM)—a leading representative of the Shia community in Pakistan— had rejected the ban imposed by the government on Youm-e-Ali rallies. MWM chief Allama Raja Nasir Abbas announced rallies would be held as per schedule.
Addressing a press conference in Islamabad on Sunday, the MWM chief said the NCOC imposed a ban on rallies in violation of an agreement between the government and the MWM. He said, as per the agreement, NCOC must allow rallies and procession on Youm-e-Ali under strict enforcement of pandemic SOPs.