Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix cancelled: promoter
Stay tuned with 24 News HD Android App
The Singapore Grand Prix, scheduled for October 3, has been cancelled "due to ongoing safety and logistic concerns brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic," the race promoter announced on Friday.
"To cancel the event for the second year in a row is an incredibly difficult decision but a necessary one in light of the prevailing restrictions for live events in Singapore," Colin Syn, deputy chairman of the race promoter, said in a statement.
"We would not be able to deliver a full event experience fans have come to expect over the years while safeguarding the health and safety of our fans, contractors, volunteers and staff," Syn added. "Ultimately we have to be responsible, cautious and prudent."
Shortly before the announcement, a spokesman for F1 world championship promoter Formula One told AFP it would "continue to work with all promoters during this uncertain period and have many options to adapt if necessary".
Races in Turkey (Istanbul) and China (Shanghai), postponed earlier this season, could replace Singapore, while the United States could also host a second race.