Confirmed coronavirus cases in Pakistan reach 3,658; death toll rises to 52
The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Pakistan rose to 3,658 on Monday after new infections were confirmed in the country. These include 1,816 cases in Punjab, 932 in Sindh, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa 405, Balochistan 198, Gilgit-Baltistan 210, Islamabad Capital Territory 82 and Azad Kashmir 15.
52 people have died of coronavirus since its outbreak in Pakistan, which includes 17 in Sindh, 15 in Punjab, KP 16, Balochistan one, and three in Gilgit-Baltistan. However, 257 people have been recovered, while 1285 COVID patients were hospitalized and 17 of them are in critical condition.
The government has also enhanced testing facilities and a total of 35,875 tests have so far been conducted. Isolation facilities have been established in 462 hospitals across Pakistan with a capacity of 7,295 beds. Besides, 17,879 corona affected people have been housed at 323 Quarantine facilities.
Special Assistant to the Prime Minister (SAPM) on Health Dr Zafar Mirza on Monday took to Twitter and thanked the people of Pakistan and God for bestowing him with the honour of playing his part in Pakistan’s fight against coronavirus.
Zafar Mirza said that he felt honoured and blessed saying that he seeks sustenance from the thousands of prayers being said by the people for his and the government of Pakistan’s success in the fight against this deadly pathogen.
The Tweet read: “I feel blessed to be able to make a small contribution to a grand national effort in fighting coronavirus led by #ImranKhanPTI. I am humbled & draw strength from many duas that I receive daily. Thank you all Folded hands. Inshallah Pakistan will emerge stronger out of #COVID?19 epidemic.” Meanwhile, Chief Minister Gilgit-Baltistan Hafiz Hafeezur Rehman has emphasized the need for collective and individual efforts at all level to defeat the threat of coronavirus in Gilgit-Baltistan. In a statement in Gilgit, he said the coronavirus can be overcome by adopting on home lockdown and social distance strategy. Hafeezur Rehman advised people against going outside home without any valid reason. He said Government will provide relief to lockdown affected people.
Under the package, more than twenty-five thousand persons will be given ration packs in the first phase. He said an endowment fund was also set up with 600 million rupees to combat against Corona threat.
Meanwhile, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government has approved a relief package of over one billion rupees for deserving families across the province.
The approval was given at a meeting of Zakat and Social Welfare Department in Peshawar on Monday, with Chief Minister Mahmood Khan in the chair.
Under the package, two installments of six-thousand rupees each will be paid through district zakat councils and local zakat committees.
This package is separate from the relief assistance provided under Ehsaas Program.
In a media briefing in Peshawar on Monday, Advisor to the Chief Minister Khyber Pakhtunkhwa for Information Ajmal Khan Wazir says two point two million families of the province will be given twelve thousand rupees each in the first phase under Ehsas Cash Programme.
He said six thousand rupees per family will be given in the next phase. Ajmal Wazir said Chief Minister Mahmood Khan has approved one point two billion rupees from Zakat fund for one hundred thousand deserving families. He said Pak-Afghan border at Torkham will remain open till Thursday.