Director, six officials suspended after six die in Khyber Hospital after oxygen runs out

By: News Desk      Published: 11:46 AM, 7 Dec, 2020
Director, six officials suspended after six die in Khyber Hospital after oxygen runs out

Seven officials including Director of Khyber Teaching Hospital have been suspended after the hospital ran out of oxygen claiming lives of six coronavirus patients, reported 24NewsHD TV Channel on Monday.

A report into the death of six COVID-19 patients at Khyber Teaching Hospital, Peshawar, has been released, highlighting the procedural lapses that led to the shortage of oxygen supplies in the health facility.

An inquiry has been ordered against the suspended officials including Director Nadeem Tahir, Facility Manager Tahir Shahzad, Supply Chain Manager Ali Waqas, Biomedical Engineer Bilal Babak, Oxygen Plant Assistant Naimat and two workers of the plant Waheed and Shazad Akbar.

Earlier, in an unfortunate incident, six patients receiving treatment at Khyber Hospital of the provincial capital died after the hospital ran out of oxygen.

According to a report of the fact-finding committee headed by Dr Nadeem Khawar, the incident occurred due to the system failure and no one pay heed to the decrease of oxygen in the tank.

The report revealed that the hospital has an oxygen plant of 100 cubic feet but it does not have any back-up.

The report also emphasised on the need for primary and secondary back-ups for the provision of the oxygen to the patients admitted to the hospital.

The report revealed that the supply chain company also did not provide the oxygen on time. The report added that the hospital does not have an emergency rescue squad and oxygen plant staff also needs further training.

The report recommended to higher more qualified staff and creating an organized emergency rescue squad.

The report said the agreement with the company that supplies oxygen cylinder had expired and there was no document regarding extension in the agreement.

However, according to the supply manager, the agreement had been extended up to January 2021 over the telephone.

The report said there were 90 patients under treatment at the isolation ward when the incident occurred.