Sub-committee sends summary to cabinet to put Shehbaz Sharif’s name in ECL
A sub-Committee of the federal cabinet referred its decision to put the name of Shahbaz Sharif in the Exit Control List to the federal cabinet for final approval on Wednesday, reported 24NewsHD TV.
Interior Minister Sheikh Rasheed Ahmad and Adviser to PM on Accountability Mirza Shahzad Akbar holding a press conference at Islamabad confirmed that the cabinet’s sub-committee had approved to put Shehbaz Sharif’s name on the no-fly list.
Addressing the media persons after the meeting, they said Shehbaz Sharif’s name would be put in the ECL after the final approval of the federal cabinet.
They clarified that the accused (Shehbaz Sharif) could appear before the Interior Ministry or the federal cabinet within 15 days to review the decision against him. And they would decide his review application within the next 90 days, they added.
Both the authorities also claimed that the government had decided to reopen the Hudabia Papers Mills the case against Shehbaz Sharif as it was the “mother of all cases of money laundering of Sharif Family” and he was in a try to escape it by going abroad two days ago.
On this occasion, Shahzad Akbar clarified that the Sharif family was not acquitted in the Hudabia case as well as another case against Shehbaz Sharif who is also the president of Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz (PML-N) was still pending in the Accountability Court.
Sheikh Rasheed told the media five members of the Sharif Family were absconding including former finance minister of Nawaz government who had already admitted his crimes in affidavits submitted during the Musharraf regime.
The meeting of the federal cabinet’s sub-committee was held here in Islamabad on Wednesday in which federal ministers including Sheikh Rasheed and Farogh Naseem and Shahzad Akbar participated through the video link.
It is reminded here that the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) chairman had written a letter to the interior ministry, requesting for putting his name on the ECL so that he could not fly abroad.
The sources further told 24News TV channel that the government had the resolve to avail all legal options to keep Shehbaz from travelling abroad.
On May 7 last, the Lahore High Court (LHC) had given conditional permission to Shehbaz Sharif for travelling abroad.
The LHC had ordered to remove the name of Shehbaz from the Blacklist so that he could leave for the UK for a period of eight weeks.
It is worth mentioning here that Shehbaz had already booked a ticket in the Qatar Airways flight for May 8 to go to England for a medical check-up.
Shehbaz, in the petition, had prayed to the court that since he had already set a precedent by returning home in 2020, leaving his ailing mother behind in the UK, the federal government be ordered to remove his name from the Blacklist, so that he could fly abroad for treatment.
He had further contended that barring him from travelling abroad was a violation of basic human rights.
However, the very next day, on May 8, when Sharif reached the Lahore airport to board the UK-bound flight, he was offloaded by the authorities who argued that since his name had not been removed from the blacklist as yet, he would not be allowed to fly abroad.
Later, when it was found out that Shehbaz’s name had not been put on the ECL, the government woke up from its slumber and decided to put his name on the list in order to eliminate any chance of his travelling to the UK.
Reporter Awais Kiani