No accused yet arrested in motorway incident, says IGP

By: News Desk      Published: 11:41 AM, 12 Sep, 2020
No accused yet arrested in motorway incident, says IGP

Punjab Inspector General of Police Inam Ghani refuting the media reports said on Saturday that no accused has been arrested yet in the Lahore-Sialkot Motorway gang-rape incident, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.

The Punjab top cop said the news on various television channels and social media platforms regarding the arrest of the main accused is false. The IGP said he himself is monitoring the case and will inform the media as soon as he gets any breakthrough in the investigation.

Punjab’s top cop said these baseless reports not only affected the case investigation but also misled the general public. He also rejected as false all the pictures of the woman victim and the accused which are being floated on social media. He vowed to arrest the culprits wanted in the case soon.

It is pertinent to note that Punjab government spokesperson Musarrat Cheema said the police had arrested 12 men suspected of involvement in the alleged gang-rape.

Two robbers raped the woman on Wednesday while she was waiting for help on the motorway after her car developed a fault.

IG bars CCPO from making any statement 

IGP Inam Ghani on Saturday directed CCPO Lahore Omer Sheikh from giving any statement on Gujjarpura rape incident.

The CCPO had made controversial statements on the incident making a case of victim shaming and raised questions about women which were criticised by people from all walks of life.

CCPO Omer Sheikh faced severe criticism in social circles. From now onwards, Lahore Police appointed a focal person will release information about the case.

Buzdar to review progress on case

Punjab Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar Saturday will chair a meeting of an Investigation Committee constituted on the gang-rape case. The committee members will inform about the progress of investigations in the case so far.