Power breakdown: Electricity supply to be restored by 8pm, says minister

Khurram Dastgir says 8,000MW power went offline, 4,000MW has now restored: Supply to Lahore, Faisalabad, Sukkur resumed: Thorough inquiry ordered: Major power breakdown hits many cities of Sindh, Punjab, Balochistan

By: News Desk
Published: 11:17 AM, 13 Oct, 2022
Power breakdown: Electricity supply to be restored by 8pm, says minister
Caption: TV grab.
Stay tuned with 24 News HD Android App
Get it on Google Play

Federal Energy Minister Khurram Dastgir has said that restoration of electricity in the southern part of the country, following a massive power breakdown, will be completed by 8:00pm, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.

Speaking at a news conference in Islamabad on Thursday, the minister stated  that Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Quetta, Multan and Faisalabad were hit by power outage on Thursday morning. He notified that the problem has been resolved completely in Multan and Faisalabad and partially in Sukkur, Dadu and Shikarpur.

“Karachi and Quetta are priority regions now,” he said, adding “Nearly 8,000 MW of power went offline at around 9:00 am; however, the government has restored 4,700 MW,” he announced. “Restarting of power plants will consume time therefore complete solution of the problem will take a few more hours.”

Citing that simultaneous faults in two power lines at the same time was concerning for the government, Khurram Dastgir remarked that an in-depth inquiry has been ordered and a team has been constituted for the purpose. “We will take action after receiving the inquiry report. Due to our efforts, northern part of the country remained unaffected from the breakdown.”

 “Our first priority was to isolate Karachi from it, and we were successful in doing so and we isolated Karachi from it by 9:45. By isolating Karachi I mean that the 1,000MW that we provide to Karachi daily, was cut. But KE’s system is independently operational and is supplying electricity to the city.”

The minister said three teams were in the field: one was the reconnection team dealing with the cut-off conductors, the second team was for repairs, wherever needed, and the third team, was the inquiry team, which would submit a report to the ministry of energy in four days identifying the cause of the incident. “Our biggest success is that we prevented a breakdown in the north. We limited the shutdown to the south through timely reconnection, the north was completely saved from the shutdown. It is taking time. The power plants that were shut down will take hours to restart. These include coal plants, Thar coal plants and nuclear plants in Karachi, wherever there has been tripping, plants are being restarted according to their technical specifications.”

He said the tripping developed near Karachi and moved northward. “There are two lines in Karachi’s south — NK1 and Jamshoro — there was a fault in them simultaneously.

The minister hinted that human error could be responsible for the fault, though he wouldn’t confirm it until the inquiry team’s report arrives. “We have to find the actual cause, whether it was an accident or there was another reason.”

Major power breakdown hits Sindh, Punjab, Balochistan.

A number of cities in Sindh including Karachi and many in Punjab including Lahore and in Balochistan were hit by a major breakdown of electricity on Thursday.

As per the official sources, six units were tripped due to a technical glitch in Guddu Thermal Power Station.

These six units had been generating 832 megawatts of electricity, and due to their tripping, electricity production has been reduced to zero.

Moreover, power supply to Sindh, Balochistan and Punjab from Guddu Thermal Power Station has been suspended.

“Reports of interruption in power supply have been received in Karachi and other cities of the country,” the K-Electric spokesperson said.

“The cause behind the power suspension is being investigated. Teams are active for restoring the power supply,” he added.

He also advised the power consumers to contact the social media platform of K-Electric for further information.

Meanwhile, the Power Division said in its statement that due to an accidental fault in the southern transmission system of the country, several southern power plants were tripping one after another.

“The Ministry of Energy is diligently investigating the cause of the power suspension, and the power supply will be fully restored as soon as possible,” it added.

Breakdown in Punjab cities also

A number of cities of Punjab also experienced power breakdown on Thursday.

Power supply was suspended in the provincial capital of Punjab, Lahore, for the system frequency downed. The power was also suspended in cities of southern Punjab including Rajanpur and Muzaffargarh.

The electricity was suspended at the Kala Shah Kaku and Ravi circuits of National Transmission and Despatch Company (NTDC).

The system frequency had downed due to a difference in supply and demand, the Lesco sources said.

The system had begun to return to normalcy after the tripping, they added.

Balochistan also hit by power breakdown

Many areas of Balochistan had also been hit by the power breakdown.

Power was suspended in major cities of the province.

Efforts were being made for restoring the power supply, according to the power division sources.

Water supply suspended in Karachi

After the electricity feeders were tripped, water supply was also suspended in Karachi.

SHC judge issues KE CEO warrants

Sindh High Court Thursday ordered Sindh Inspector General (IG) Ghulam Nabi Memon to bring in CEO of K-Electric as the power breakdown plunged the high court into darkness.

Sindh High Court is exempted from power outages even if there are technical errors or the whole province is shut down.

The recent power breakdown caused an outage in the Sindh HC as well. On which the court summoned IG Sindh Ghulam Nabi Memon and ordered him to bring in CEO of K-Electric Syed Moonis Abdullah Alvi after issuing bailable arrest warrants for him.

Reporters: Ashraf Khan, Aamir Dogar, Awais Kiyani and Shahid Sipra