Sheikh Rasheed sees ‘conspiracy’ behind cancellation of NZ tour
Interior Minister Sheikh Rasheed said on Friday that the cancellation of tour by the New Zealand cricket team was the result of a ‘conspiracy’, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.
Addressing a press conference, he said although he knew who had done all this; still since he was a responsible person he thought it was not appropriate to name that country or countries which were behind the tour’s cancellation. “And to make matters worse, there are reports that now the English cricket team is also considering its tour to Pakistan,” Rasheed disclosed, adding whatever decision England and Wales Cricket Board took would be acceptable to Pakistan.
He dispelled the impression that international cricket teams were not safe in Pakistan. “None of our security agencies has any information about a terror attack being planned somewhere,” he said categorically, and added, “Prime Minister Imran Khan has even talked to New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern on phone, asking her to let the Kiwis’ tour go ahead as planned, but she has refused.”
Rasheed said the government had assured the Black Caps that they would be provided foolproof security. “After all, the jawans of Pakistan Army had been tasked with guarding the visitors,” he said, and regretted it was unfortunate that still they opted to cancel the tour.
The interior minister also sought to allay the fears that terrorists could infiltrate into the country through Pak-Afghan border crossings.
When a reporter asked him a question about his resignation, he lost his temper and said, “For God’s sake, talk sense.”