Active coronavirus cases in Pakistan stand at 6,272 as 1,970 people recovered

By: News Desk      Published: 12:49 PM, 20 Apr, 2020
Active coronavirus cases in Pakistan stand at 6,272 as 1,970 people recovered

The number of confirmed coronavirus in Pakistan jumped to 8,418 after another 425 people were diagnosed with the virus during the past 24 hours, the figures released by the National Command and Control Centre on Monday show.

Meanwhile, the active cases stood at 6,272 as 1,970 coronavirus patients have fully recovered so far.

Punjab tops the list with 3,721 cases, which is followed by Sindh 2,537, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa 1,235, Balochistan 432, Gilgit-Baltistan 263, Islamabad 181 and Azad Kashmir 49.

A policeman wearing a hazmat suit stands gaurd in a cordoned-off area in Islamabad after some residents tested positive for coronavirus.

On the other hand, the number of deaths caused by the deadly virus reached 176 while 44 patients are in a critical condition.

The most number of deaths are recorded in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa where 67 people have lost their lives after being infected by the virus.

The number of deaths in other administrative units are: Sindh 56, Punjab 42, Balochistan five and three each in Gilgit-Baltistan and Islamabad.

Moreover, 36 percent coronavirus cases are related to foreign travel with the remaining 64 percent being a product of local transmission.

Currently, a total of 2,216 patients are under treatment in 590 different hospitals across the country.

As far as testing is concerned, 104,302 people have so far been tested for the virus out of which 4,873 were carried out during the past 24 hours.