PCB gives players choice to skip England tour
Stay tuned with 24 News HD Android App
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Wednesday gave players an option if they want to withdraw from the upcoming England tour as the players were assured that the PCB will not compromise on their health and safety.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chief Executive Wasim Khan, Director International Cricket Operations Zakir Khan, Director Medical and Sports Sciences Dr Sohail Saleem and Head coach-cum-chief selector Misbahul Haq updated players on their last week's discussions with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) concerning the upcoming tour to England.
“It seems the Pakistan cricket team will have to remain under strict bio-secure environment secure for up to three months," said Wasim. “Players will be given an option to withdraw if they are still not satisfied with the provisions that will be put in place; full details will be provided in the coming weeks," he added.
The PCB briefed the players it will be looking to send a 25-player squad comprising red and white-ball players in early July; the squad will stay together till the end of the tour. The PCB is planning to hold a pre-tour training camp in Lahore from early June amidst strict ICC guidelines.
Dr Sohail Saleem, Misbahul Haq and Waqar Younis will devise training schedules in line with strict health and safety guidelines. The PCB will share further details with the players post their next round discussion with the ECB.
The PCB also confirmed that new central contracts to include medical coverage for players' immediate families.
“PCB is ready to deal with the unprecedented operational and logistical challenges of housing and training by ensuring a profound bio-secure cover for the players in Lahore before flying them to England,” said Zakir Khan.