An anti-terrorism court (ATC) in Karachi on Tuesday rejected the bail applications of 14 terrorists belonging to the MQM, 24NewsHD TV channel reported.
The accused, who were arrested from Nine-Zero [the infamous MQM headquarters], could not be granted bail as their trial was in the final stages, the court said.
See Also: Firdous wants all political parties to work together
Former MQM sector in-charge Farhan Shabbir, Nadeem alias Guddu, Imtiaz and others are among those facing the trial. They had moved the ATC for interim relief on medical grounds.
During the hearing, the Rangers’ prosecutor argued that the accused were getting appropriate healthcare services in prison.
The MQM members involved in serious crimes were arrested from the party headquarters on March 11, 2015 and they could carry out more terrorism activities in Karachi, if released, he added.
The prosecutor said automatic weapons and ammunition had been recovered during their arrest from Nine-Zero, adding that the accused were also facing cases related to killing the law enforcement agencies personnel and ordinary citizens.