NAB wakes up to sugar and wheat scams, orders thorough probe
Stay tuned with 24 News HD Android App
The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) on Tuesday gave a go-ahead for launching an inquiry into the recently emerged sugar and wheat scandals that led to the shake-up in the federal cabinet.
The approval was given by the NAB Executive Board in a meeting held on Tuesday in the federal capital.
NAB’s press release said that the Bureau would also thoroughly investigate the alleged smuggling of wheat and sugar, and subsidies to the power sectors.
It is pertinent to mention that Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Director General Wajid Zia had submitted a report earlier this month revealing PTI stalwarts Jahangir Khan Tareen and brother of then Food Minister Khusro Bakhtiyar were among the beneficiaries of the sugar and wheat crises.
The NAB Chainman also approved the PSO mega corruption inquiry and ordered an investigation against International Islamic University misconduct.
An inquiry against Capital Development Authority officers and employees has also been approved in Tuesday’s NAB meeting of the executive committee.
As per the NAB’s release, NAB has filed 610 references in last two years while the anti-graft watchdog recovered Rs178 billion in the same period.
On April 20, NAB said National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has clarified that it had no intention of arresting Shehbaz Sharif. Only comprehensive and detailed answers of some of the very few questions were required.
“No magic can influence NAB. Action is taken as per law and constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and in light of the evidence. Please better avoid politics on NAB as NAB is a national institute. Its officers have no affiliation with any political party, group or group of individuals but it has the only allegiance with the state of Pakistan,” NAB said in a statement.