Govt to withdraw cases against TLP workers by Wednesday: Sh Rasheed

Claims all roads to be opened; protesters to stay on road until Tuesday evening: Parries direct answer on Saad Rizvi’s release by saying he will be out ‘Insha’Allah’: Says PDM pulls up show in Nov, Dec every year: Promises ‘election budget’ next year

By: News Desk      Published: 08:08 AM, 24 Oct, 2021
TLP talks
Sheikh Rasheed addresses a news conference.

Interior Minister Sheikh Rasheed Ahmad has announced that the government will withdraw cases against the defunct Tehreek-e-Labbaik workers by Tuesday or Wednesday, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.

Addressing a presser in Islamabad on Sunday, the interior minister said the government team held talks with the banned TLP leaders for eight hours. “We will also review the Fourth Schedule,” he added.

He revealed that the government team’s meeting and talks with the outlawed TLP went well. “We also held talks with proscribed TLP chief Saad Hussain Rizvi,” Rasheed said adding that Prime Minister Imran Khan was apprised of all the development. The minister was optimistic that the situation will be improved.

He said that the defunct TLP was the third biggest vote bank in Punjab.

When a journalist asked him whether the government would release Saad Rizvi, he replied: “In Sha Allah!”

The minister told the media that he had ordered the administration to remove all containers except the containers which were placed on GT Road. 

Following the orders, the twin cities administrations have started hauling away containers. Several containers have been taken away from Murree Road opening the thoroughfare for traffic. 

He said that the participants of the TLP long march, which was set off from Lahore to Islamabad, would stay at Muridke until Tuesday evening.

During his talk with media persons, Sh Rasheed showed his remorse on missing the thrilling blockbuster being played between Pakistan and India today in Dubai. 

Also Read: Faiz Hameed is still ISI chief, says Sh Rasheed

The minister who took two-day leave from his office and went to Dubai to watch the most exciting encounter between the two arch rivals, had to come back yesterday on the instruction of Prime Minister Imran khan who wanted him to oversee the security situation back home in view of the outlawed TLP protest. 

Sh Rasheed said that today the entire nation was eagerly looking forward towards the Pak-India high voltage clash. He wished Pakistan cricket team all the best. He rued that he never missed Pak-India encounter before in his life.

On Pakistan economic condition, he said that our economy was presently in shambles. There is international pressure on our country, he maintained adding that so far we had remained free from economic sanctions. 

In a satirical way, the minister remarked that every year in the months of November and December, the Pakistan Democratic Movement did some exercise. Then follows lull in January, he added.

The interior minister pronounced that the next budget of the PTI government would be the ‘election budget’. 

Earlier, in a major late-night development, the talks between the government and the outlawed Tehrik-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) have yielded positive results, claimed Sheikh Rasheed

The talks were aimed at averting further violent clashes between the TLP protesters and the police, and resolving the issues relating to the detention of TLP chief Saad Hussain Rizvi.

Sheikh Rasheed who led the government team in the talks said all roads will be reopened for traffic. He, however, said the protesters will remain on roads until Tuesday evening.

Qadri says govt to accept TLP demands according to law 

Federal Minister for Religious Affairs Noorul Haq Qadri said on Sunday that the protest marchers of the banned Tehreek-e-Labbaik would register their protest till Tuesday following which all roads would be opened assuring that there would be no clash between the protesters and police, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.

The minister stated that the government had listened to all the demands of the defunct party leaders. They will continue staging their peaceful protest at places where they are, he said adding that after the acceptance of their demands, they would end their protest.

Mr Qadri said that their demands would be accepted according to the law and the government would deliberate on them honestly and would hold consultation with all stakeholders. He was confident that the protest rally would remain peaceful.