MNA Javed Latif handed over to police on 5-day physical remand

By: News Desk      Published: 05:06 PM, 28 Apr, 2021
MNA Javed Latif handed over to police on 5-day physical remand
File photo.

Judicial Magistrate Model Town Court Wednesday handed over MNA Mian Javed Latif to police on five-day physical remand, reported 24News HD TV channel.

Law enforces agencies on Tuesday had arrested Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Member National Assembly Javed Latif for his anti-state remarks in a television programme after his bail was rejected by the sessions court.

A treason case was registered against him with the charges of provoking people against the state institutions at the Township Police Station in Lahore. He was arrested by the CIA officials from Saggiyan Bridge on Tuesday when he was returning to his hometown (Sheikhupura) from the provincial capital. 

During Wednesday's hearing, Punjab police produced Javed Latif before the judicial magistrate Sabir Hussain at Model Town Court, where the public prosecutor demanded physical remand while the defence lawyer Farhad Ali Shah opposed it.

However, the public prosecutor told the court that there was a need for a Photogrammetric Test of the video of the TV progamme in which Latif allegedly violated the law and gave anti-state remarks. As well, there was also a need to check the record of his cellular phone, he emphasized.

In response to it, lawyer the MNA argued that cellular phone was a personal thing of any citizen and there is no need for physical remand for checking the phone data. He urged the court to grant bail to him. He also told the court that his client did not do any treason and he just said some points about receiving threats to his party leader Maryam Nawaz which was not a violation of the law.

On the other hand, the public prosecutor said in the court that Javed Latif had threatened that a situation like “Fall of Dhaka” could be emerged again in the country and such remarks were not reasonable for any representative of a political party. 

After hearing the arguments of both sides, the magistrate held the decision for almost one hour and then granted his physical remand of five days to the Punjab Police.