PTI again opposes handover of accounts record to Akbar Babar
In its reply submitted to the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Tuesday, counsel for the PTI Shah Khawar said that the ECP had previously too rejected the petitioner’s request for the provision of the record to him.
Khawar argued that it was Babar’s responsibility to prove the authenticity of the documents he had submitted to the election commission.
He further said that the documents already submitted could not be made public.
Member Punjab Altaf Ibrahim Qureshi said that if Akbar S. Babar continued to submit applications, the scrutiny would drag on. “If the petitioner has objections to any transaction, he could challenge it,” Qureshi remarked.
He further said it was not necessary that Babar checked the transactions of each and every individual.
Later, talking to the media, Akbar S. Babar, the petitioner, said despite the fact that he had provided to the ECP details of three persons who collected funds for the PTI, not a single person’s account was checked.
He urged the election commission to give a verdict in the case as soon as possible. “Had the case been settled long ago, somebody else, and not Imran Khan, would be at the helm of PTI’s affairs,” he speculated.
Babar vowed to take the case to the Supreme Court in an effort to prove his claims against the ruling party.
He said it was the ECP itself that had said that PTI had used tactics to delay pronouncement of verdict in the case.
The petitioner said he had been fighting the case for the last six years, and would continue to do so in future as well.
Reporter Zeeshan Bhatti