Indian army chief says ceasefire along LoC led to peace

Says this is first step to normalisation of ties between two countries: India hands over Pakistani’s dead body to Rangers

By: News Desk      Published: 02:49 PM, 30 May, 2021
Indian army chief says ceasefire along LoC led to peace
File photo.

Indian Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane has said that the restoration of ceasefire in February between Indian and Pakistani militaries along the Line of Control (LoC) is holding and contributed to the overall sense of peace and well-being in border areas, reported 24NewsHD TC channel.

According to Hindustan Times on Sunday, Indian Army Chief Naravane said: “This is the first step on the long road to normalisation of ties between the two countries. We would like the ceasefire to continue. It has definitely led to an improvement in the security situation and benefited civilians living in the forward areas.”

In a surprise development, Indian and Pakistani militaries announced on February 25 that they had begun observing a ceasefire along the LoC from midnight of February 24. India and Pakistan had agreed to a ceasefire on the LoC in November 2003, but it was frequently violated.

However, the Indian army chief also vowed that “Counterterrorism operations will continue.’ 

Peace along the LoC is mutually beneficial, Naravane said. “The population living on either side suffers due to violence along the LoC. I am sure the Pakistan army is also concerned about the population and hopefully the ceasefire will hold,” the Indian army chief said. 

After February 24, there has been a solitary instance of cross-border firing along the LoC between the Indian Border Security Force and Pakistan Rangers.

Pakistani tortured to death by Indian forces

The Indian forces have tortured to death a Pakistani youth who inadvertently crossed over Indian border, reported 24NewsHD Tv Channel on Sunday.

Reportedly, on May 18, a Pakistani youth, Asim Raza, resident of a village in Zafarwal, mistakenly crossed over Indian border. He was detained by the Indian border officials. On Saturday, the Indian border forces handed over his body to the Pakistani Rangers. The Indian media constantly tried to portray him as a terrorist. 

Asim’s mother had lodged a report regarding her son’s disappearance in Zafarwal police station. The family came to know about his whereabouts through Indian media. In his picture aired on Indian TVs, Asim looked severely wounded and tortured while being treated in an Indian hospital. It was obvious that he was severely beaten and tortured by the Indian forces. 

Asim succumbed to his injuries in Jammu Hospital on Saturday. 

Reporter Farhan Ijaz