Remains of lynched Lankan flown back to Colombo

• Seven more accused held in Sialkot: ATC grants 15-day physical remand of 26 suspects

By: 24 News
Published: 12:49 PM, 6 Dec, 2021
Remains of lynched Lankan flown back to Colombo
Caption: A view of the site in Sialkot where a mob killed a man. File photo
Stay tuned with 24 News HD Android App
Get it on Google Play

Dead body of Sri Lankan factory manager Priyantha Kumara who was brutally lynched and burnt by factory workers in Sialkot has been sent to Colombo from Lahore on Monday, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.

Reportedly, the Sri Lankan Airline UL186 took the remains of Priyantha Kumara to Colombo from Lahore Airport at 12:30pm. 

On the other hand, Punjab Police arrested seven more accused in a case related to the lynching of a Sri Lankan national at a Sialkot factory.

According to details, the police continued tracking the accused involved in the lynching of a Sri Lankan national who was working as a manager at a factory by an angry mob through CCTV footage and mobile phone data.

The police have arrested seven main accused in the last 12 hours who were allegedly involved in torturing the foreigner and encouraging the mob. Police have started an investigation.

The police have arrested 131 accused so far in the case. Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar has ordered to speed up the investigation with the help of modern technology. According to a Punjab Police spokesperson, CM Buzdar and IGP Punjab are continuously monitoring the developments in the investigations into the case.

The spokesperson added that the investigations have identified so far 26 main accused out of 131 arrested in the case. 

Separately, 26 suspects were presented before the anti-terrorism court in Gujranwala. 

Accepting the police request, the ATC granted a 15-day physical remand of the 26 accused. Strict security arrangements were made during the appearance of the accused before the court. 

Police inefficiency exposed

It has also been revealed that the police played a silent spectator role during the whole incident. According to the 24News channel, the police were present during the whole incident of the horrific murder of the Sri Lankan national from start to end but did not intervene.

Even when some colleagues including Malik Adnan tried to rescue the foreign national, the armed police officers who were present on the scene kept their distance from the angry mob and did not try to pacify or stop them.

The police could be seen at the crime scene carrying weapons but their presence has been omitted from the report presented to the IGP Punjab.