US pullout from Afghanistan over 90% complete: Pentagon
CentCom said it had officially handed over seven former US bases to the Afghan security forces and had evacuated the equivalent of nearly 1,000 C-17 air freighter loads of equipment from the country, ahead of the September deadline to complete the pullout.
Tuesday's announcement underscored that most of the process of withdrawing US military and civilian personnel ordered by President Joe Biden in April had been completed.
At the time of Biden's order there were officially 2,500 US troops and 16,000 private contractors.
While Biden had set a deadline of September -- the 20th anniversary of the Afghan-based Al-Qaeda attack on the United States that sparked the American invasion of the country -- the Pentagon has moved quickly to reduce its presence to a minimum this month.
"We expect it to be completed by the end of August," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said on Friday after the Bagram handover.
The United States is expected to keep a reported 650 or more military personnel in the country to protect the US embassy and diplomats.