Aerial reconnaissance op for missing climbers concludes amid bad weather

By: News Desk
Published: 12:16 PM, 8 Feb, 2021
Aerial reconnaissance op for missing climbers concludes amid bad weather
Stay tuned with 24 News HD Android App
Get it on Google Play

The Pakistan Army’s Aviation search operation for missing mountaineers including Muhammad Ali Sadpara and his co-climbers from Iceland and Chile concluded on third-day amid bad weather conditions, reported 24NewsHD TV channel on Monday quoting its sources.

It has been three days since Sadpara and his co-climbers went missing and two search hunt operations by the Pakistan Army's Lama Helicopters were conducted but no traces of the missing summiteers were found.    

Alpine Adventure Guides said, “3rd day search and rescue Mission is over, Heli’s flayed 7000 M, now back to Skardu. Visibility over the mountain is poor the mountains is covered with clouds above 7000M.”

Earlier in the day, Gilgit Baltistan Minister for Tourism Raja Nasir Ali Khan said, “Once again, 2 choppers set out for the aerial reconnaissance of the trails adopted by Ali Sadpara John Snorri and JP Mohr on K2. They shall be flying to the technologically capable limits. Stay positive. InshaAllah.”  

Gilgit Baltistan Home Secretary Muhammad Ali Randhawa tweeted, “3rd day heli search mission by Pakistan Army aviation begins at 09:30. Heli’s have reached base camp. Dawa Sherpa of SST will again guide the helicopters at K2 where to see possible targeted areas to spot the missing bodies. Weather is also building up today. Prayers needed.”

Earlier, Sajid Ali Sadpara, son of Muhammad Ali Sadpara, said the chances of his father, who had set off on a mission to climb to K2's summit, are very slim.

In a conversation with reporters in Skardu, Sajid said: "Rescue operations now only make sense if they are carried out to bring back my father’s body. Otherwise, for the chance for anyone to survive at 8,000 metres [after being missing for] two to three days are next to none."

Sajid said that a team of four climbers began their climb at around 11pm-12am on February 5 (the night between Thursday and Friday) and last time he saw his father was at the bottleneck at around 8,200-8,300 metres, the most "technical portion" of the climb, at around 11am on Friday.

"I'm sure he summited the peak and was on his way back after which he encountered an accident which is why he is missing," he said.

Categories : Pakistan, National