Afghanistan probes air strike that killed civilians
Provincial officials said 15 people died on Saturday night when a rocket struck a house in Khashrod district of Nimroz province.
"We are aware of claims of civilian casualties in Nimroz. We have launched an investigation jointly with local officials," the defence ministry said in a statement.
Provincial council member Nehmatullah Sediqqi told AFP that Afghan forces carried out two air strikes in the district.
Nimroz public health official Nasir Ahmad Haibat said bodies of 15 people were brought to a hospital on Sunday.
But he blamed the Taliban for being responsible for the casualties.
"The Taliban and other terrorist groups are often using the people's houses as shields and are the main cause of misfortunes during a war," he said in a statement.
The latest bloodshed triggered international calls for an inquiry into the strike.
"We call for a full investigation and if need be for accountability and justice," the French embassy in Kabul said on Twitter.
The report said that about eight percent of the civilian casualties during that period were caused by Afghan air strikes.
The Taliban and Afghan forces have clashed almost daily across Afghanistan despite peace talks between the insurgents and the government.
The second round of peace talks commenced last week in the Qatari capital, with government negotiators pushing for a ceasefire as violence continues unabated across the conflict-wracked country.