Shehbaz skips NAB appearance, again summoned for May 4
April 22, 2020 01:43 PM
PML-N president Shehbaz Sharif will not appear before the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) on Wednesday because of the coronavirus threat, said Marriyum Aurangzeb who is the party’s spokesperson. However, the Bureau wasted no time and summoned the PML-N chief again on May 4.
In a series of tweets, she said all the required material, including documents and record, had been provided, adding that more information would also be shared, if and when needed.
However, the NAB has said that it had received the response from Shehbaz Sharif but it was incomplete. So, the Bureau again summoned the PML-N chief on May 4.
Despite the difficulties faced due to the coronavirus pandemic, the information had been shared after collecting the same from Pakistan and the UK as well as on the basis of personal recollection, Marriyum said.
She said the certificates issued by doctors were also attached with the application forwarded by Shehbaz, adding that it was requested earlier too that his life should not be placed in jeopardy.
The PML-N spokesperson reminded that the party president had gone through a cancer-related surgery which meant that he could be affected the virus due to the reduced immunity.
Earlier, the NAB had said that Shehbaz must appear in person on Wednesday as the necessary precautionary measures would be taken due to the pandemic.
However, the Bureau warned that the legal procedure would be adopted in case of a failure to comply with the notice sent in connection with a probe into assets beyond means.
NAB seeks reversal of acquittals
NAB has decided to challenge the acquittal of all the beneficiaries who had benefited from corruption cases on the basis of NAB’s amended ordinance.
The NAB prosecution wing will now reportedly move the High Court to challenge the acquittal of all those, including former prime minister Raja Pervez Ashraf. The other beneficiaries include Hafiz Nauman and Co, who had sought exemptions in Trust Investment Bank Case.
It should be mentioned that Qamar-ul-Islam Raja, the principal accused in the Clean Water Company Case, is also expected to be released on April 25 under the said NAB amendment ordinance.
However, the NAB has also decided to appeal in this case, according to sources.