Prince Charles tested positive for coronavirus

By: AFP      Published: 03:48 PM, 25 Mar, 2020
Prince Charles tested positive for coronavirus

Prince Charles, the eldest son and heir to Queen Elizabeth II, has tested positive for the new coronavirus, his office said on Wednesday.

The 71-year-old is displaying mild symptoms of COVID-19 "but otherwise remains in good health", Clarence House said in a statement.

The Prince of Wales has had a "high number of engagements" in recent weeks and it is "not possible to ascertain" where he caught the virus, his spokesman said.

Charles is the first Royal Family member to be diagnosed with Covid-19, and he falls within one of the highest risk categories given his age.

Clarence House said he "otherwise remains in good health" and has been working from home over the last few days despite catching the potentially deadly illness.

Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, has tested negative for coronavirus and is self-isolating at Birkhall in Scotland along with Charles, although they are apart from each other at the residence.

The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire.

"In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland. The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.

"It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks," the officials said.

The prince travelled to Birkhall on Sunday and he was tested on Monday.

Charles' recent engagements include an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, where he offered a namaste gesture instead of a handshake, and a dinner at Mansion House in London in aid of the bushfire relief effort in Australia.

Prince Albert of Monaco tested positive for coronavirus nine days after attending the same event as Charles. The pair were in the same room for a WaterAid event.

Prince Albert was the first head of state and reigning monarch to reveal they had been diagnosed with Covid-19. Monaco said he was doing fine despite the diagnosis.

Buckingham Palace had this to say:

“Her Majesty The Queen remains in good health. The Queen last saw The Prince of Wales briefly after the investiture on the morning of 12th March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare.”

A Clarence House spokesman released this statement:

“The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual. The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland. The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.

“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”