Five people die as rain deluges Karachi
Five people were electrocuted in rain-related incidents with hundreds of feeders of Karachi Electric tripped plunging the commercial capital of Pakistan into darkness. Among the victims was a four-year-old girl who was electrocuted in Clifton.
The other deceased included Wajid, 35, who was electrocuted near a lighthouse in Baldia Town, Yaqeen Khan, 42, who was also electrocuted at his house in Baldia Town and Sabir was electrocuted in Liaquatabad area in the rain spell, which started early yesterday.
The intermittent rain with brief heavy spells submerged roads with rainwater exposing the drainage system in the port city.
The water has accumulated in other places including Qayyumabad, Liaqatabad and FTC area where citizens were facing all kind of difficulties.
However, Karachi Administrator Murtaza Wahab Saddique claimed, “I had moved from Lyari towards Shahrah-e-Faisal, nursery, Tipu Sultan Road, Shaheed-e-Millat Road, Hyder Ali & Tariq underpass. All of these areas remained clear, now moving towards University Road & then to district central.”
From Lyari i had moved towards shahrah e faisal, nursery, tipu sultan road, shaheed e millat road, hyder ali & tariq underpass. All of these areas remained clear, now moving towards university road & then to district central— Murtaza Wahab Siddiqui (@murtazawahab1) September 3, 2021
K-Electric spokesperson Imran Rana said that another spell of rain was expected in Karachi Saturday as per the weather office while K-Electric teams remained on alert, please do observe safety during rain.
“Call KE at 118 helplines, or connect via KE Live App and our media for support. Stay safe fellow Karachi'ites,” he added.
Another spell of rain is expected in Karachi today as per @Pak_Weather. While @KElectricPk teams remain on alert, please do observe safety during rain. Call KE at 118 helpline, or connect via KE Live App and our social media for support. Stay safe fellow Karachi'ites.— Imran Rana (@imranrana21) September 4, 2021
He said that K-Electric teams were working at their best to restore the power supply as soon as possible and any inconvenience caused in this regard was regretted.