Oman cricketer gets seven-year ban for match-fixing

By: AFP      Published: 03:06 PM, 24 Feb, 2020
Oman cricketer gets seven-year ban for match-fixing

Oman's Yousuf Abdulrahim Al Balushi has been banned for seven years for match-fixing, the International Cricket Council said on Monday.

Al Balushi admitted the four charges against him, which stem from the men's Twenty20 World Cup qualifiers held in the United Arab Emirates last year.

The 29-year-old attempted to fix games and tried to enlist a team-mate to help him, the ICC said.  "This is a very serious offence where a player attempted but failed to get a teammate to engage in corrupt activity in high profile games and this is reflected in the severity of the sentence," said ICC integrity general manager Alex Marshall.

"Without Mr. Balushi's admission of guilt and full cooperation throughout our investigation, the ban could have been significantly longer."

The ACU had charged Al Balushi for breaching its code on the following four counts:

Article 2.1.1: Being party to an agreement or effort to fix or contrive in any way the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of matches in the ICC World T20 Qualifiers 2019.

Article 2.1.4: Attempting to solicit, induce, entice, persuade, encourage or intentionally facilitate a Participant to breach Article 2.1.

Article 2.4.4: Failing to report the approaches or invitations that you received from three different individuals to be a party to an agreement or effort to fix matches in the ICC World T20 Qualifiers 2019.

Article 2.4.7: Obstructing or delaying an investigation carried out by the ACU in relation to possible Corrupt Conduct under the Code, including by concealing or tampering with information that may be relevant to that investigation and/or that may be evidence of or lead to the discovery of evidence of Corrupt Conduct under the Code.